Event Sponsorship - What's In It For You?
2018 is in full swing and your phone is ringing off the hook with requests for event sponsorship. The pitch sounds incredible, and you're going to get so much marketing for your business. Stop...stop right there. Slow down and ask yourself and the person on the other end of the line, "what's in it for me"? Before you put thousands of dollars and hours of valuable time into making their event look great, make sure that you're getting "consideration" for your talents. Too often I've seen my clients sponsor an event only to get nothing that was promised. Before you make the same mistake, consider the following:
- Marketing - Are you getting shout outs on social media before and after the event? When, where and how often? Will your logo be promoted with links to your website? Will there be a blog post written with your web links?
- Printed Materials - Will your logo be on printed materials, on a scrolling screen?
- Mention From The Podium - The host should mention you and ask you to stand so all the attendees will see you and recognize your product or service.
- Images - They are EVERYTHING! Make sure that you receive the images for your own marketing purposes.
- Guest List - This alone can be worth the price of your blood, sweat, and tears. Demand that list and use it to create a marketing blast to promote your work.
I know what you're thinking..."I can't demand those things". Oh yes you can, and you absolutely should. This is YOUR business and you need to make YOUR rules. Event sponsors should be treated like gold. Our industry has become notorious for using up sponsors and not honoring their promises made. If everyone holds them accountable, things can change positively for both host and sponsor. One more thing you should do before you say yes, is to call a previous sponsor and get their feedback. If it's not right for you, don't be afraid to say no. Wait until the right one comes along.
Sponsorship is a great way to showcase what you do to your industry. But never lose sight of the fact that this is YOUR business and you have to maximize every drop of the efforts you put into it. Happy Sponsoring!